I had the honor of interviewing author James Michel. James has an incredible story of overcoming adversity.
- Tell us about yourself and what prompted you to write this book? My name is James Michel. I am a believer of Jesus Christ. I am also a husband and a father. About 3 years ago I lost my first wife unexpectedly to cancer. During my grieving process, I felt compelled to share my story in the form of a book. “Perplexed But Not in Despair: My Spiritual Journey from Faith to Functional” is a testament of her life that has been sown, a legacy for my children, and a testimony of God’s redemptive power.
- What has the book writing process been for you? Honestly, painfully rewarding! Painful in the sense that I had to discipline myself to take the thoughts in my head and put them into words on paper. Despite these challenges, it has been a rewarding process, because of the fact that I believe the finish product could be a source for hope and comfort to many. What would be your advice to those who have an untold story to tell? Do it for the one! Your story could very well be the key that unlocks someone else’s destiny. Also, don’t be overly concerned about everything being perfect. There are a lot of resources out there to help you write a book with excellence.
- What would you say is the major take away of your book? The ALL-sufficent power of God to redeem every situation. God’s grace carried me through the darkest season of my life, and took my faith to new heights.
- What do you want readers to walk away with after reading your book? My prayer and hope is that every reader would encounter the Love and the Faithfulness of God through the pages of my book. I pray that they would be challenged to engage their faith life even harder.
- Has writing this book been a part of your healing journey? If so, how? Very much so! It forced me to sort out and process my emotions. It challenged me to ask questions I wouldn’t normally ask, self reflect on a deeper level, and find peace in the answers. What has God done in your heart and life since you started writing this book? Having had the opportunity to journal and as a result write this book, I am now experiencing a deeper peace and intimacy with God. I’ve had my Job moment- “My ears have heard of you, but now my eyes have seen you (Job 42:5).”
- Part of your book speaks about “Functional Faith,” what does this mean for your reader? The Bible says, “without Faith it is impossible to please God (Heb. 11:6)”. A Functional Faith to me is a faith that works in the middle of hard times. A faith that is fully persuaded of the love and faithfullness of God. A faith that is content in simply knowing who God is. I think Job said it best when he said, “though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him (Job 13:15).”
- How will this book help those who are going through hard seasons and loss? God is no respector of person. What He’s done for me, He’s more than willing to do it for another. It is my prayer that as others read my book, their sense of hope will be renewed. It doesn’t have to be the end! What advice would you offer readers? Don’t lose hope no matter what! Trust God! Believe that ALL things can work for good and God’s glory.
- How can people get a copy of your book? Or reach you? It’s super easy! People interested in reading my book can order a copy from Amazon. All feedback and questions can be sent to James@firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you James for sharing with our readers about your new book! I believe it will encourage them to cling to God in every season!
You can connect with James in person on March 6th in Columbus, Ohio at his book launch event.
James Michel Book Launch-March 6th, 2020. 6:30pm. Zion Christian Church. 5780 Baltimore Reynoldsburg Road NW, Pickerington, Ohio 43147.