How I Love You (God’s Perfect Love)
Describe your best loving relationship? How did you know the person loved you? What did they do to show you their love?
Do you think God responds to you in a similar way?
What if God knows the way you receive love and responds to you in a way that is tailored to you? What if His love is bigger, greater, more passionate, and deeper than any earthly love you have felt? It is! His love is perfect.
I pray as Paul prayed.
I pray that we, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-that we may be filled to the measure of all measure of fullness of God.~ Eph 3:17-19.
God loves us perfectly but often we miss His love for the following reasons:
1. We don’t believe God loves us deeply and personally. So, we fail to recognize His love when it’s always there. If we don’t believe, we fail to receive. Have you ever gone out of your way to show someone you loved them, yet they failed to believe you? It’s the same with God. It starts with faith (believing God).
2. We don’t spend time with Him. It’s challenging to receive love from someone we don’t know. It’s strange and uncomfortable. However, the more familiar we are with someone, the easier it is to feel the heart to heart connection. Knowing leads to greater intimacy.
3. We think God is like the people we encounter. He can’t be compared to a person. He’s kinder, more generous, and more loving.
4. We blame Him for the bad things that happen and fail to thank Him for the good.
5. When He uses people to bless us, we end up thanking them and forget Him. He uses people to encourage us, care for us, show us kindness, etc…Too often we thank them instead of seeing God was the one who gave them the idea. It’s good to thank people, but ultimately God is the one longing to bless us.
I can say that God has gone out of His way to shower me with love. Sometimes I thanked people and saw only them. Other times I simply did not fully believe He was a personal God who wanted to have deep relationship with me. What I found was the more time I spent with Him, the more time I spent praying for a deeper revelation of His love, the more I saw His love. Here are some examples, just a few:
During times of discouragement or grief God would bring scriptures to mind. He sometimes sent people who were caring and kind, who wiped tears, and were a support. Often when the season was over the people were gone, but He never left.
During times of little resources God would send people to take me to dinner or make meals. He has always provided.
He spoke and speaks encouraging words into my heart. He calls out the good! He’s my greatest cheerleader.
He placed so many beautiful things in nature I can’t photograph them all. Nice!
I love art, and He has allowed there to be numerous talented artists in the world. I am able to see their work and marvel at their creativity.
Sometimes He allows my favorite songs to be played on the radio right as I’m thinking of them.
He inspired people to write worship songs that connect my heart to His.
He sent people to teach and show me His love (my parents).
He forgives over and over and over again. That’s love!
He convicts and corrects me when I’m wrong.
When I have been faithless, He’s still been faithful.
He speaks through His Word which has been a source of tremendous encouragement and blue print for life.
Last but not least, He sent His Son to take away all my sins! I put this one last because He did this for everyone. However, we fail to see that if we were the only lost person on earth, He still would have sent Jesus. His love is personal, not a blanket love. I told God once when I was young, “You love me because you have to.” His response, “I love you because I want to.” See verse below.
“Long before He laid down the Earth’s foundations, He had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of His love, to be made whole and holy by His love….(What pleasure He took in planning this!) Eph 1-4-5 the Message.
So my beautiful friends I hope and pray that His perfect love is revealed more and more to us. The way I sense His love may be radically different than how you sense His love. All that matters is that you know that there’s nothing He’d love more than to have a close, personal relationship with you. You were worth dying for! And you are worth pursuing. You are deeply loved. You’re in my heart and in my prayers.